Cleland delayed nine years before closing down the inquest .. what was he waiting for?
“I am required to find, if I can, who the deceased was and how when and where he died. I will, I fear be unable to answer these questions unless further evidence is obtained.’ Coroner Cleland.
‘Unless further evidence is obtained.’
Evidence obtained subsequent to the adjournment …
(1) A Rubaiyat matching the Tamam Shud slip was obtained.
(2) The identity of the finder of the Rubaiyat was obtained.
(3) The circumstances surrounding the finding of the Rubaiyat were obtained.
(4) A code written on the back of the Rubaiyat was obtained.
(5) A phone number written on the back of the Rubaiyat was obtained.
(6) The identity of the phone’s subscriber was obtained.
(7) An interview with the phone subscriber was obtained.
(8) Evidence of a relationship between the Somerton Man and the subscriber was obtained.
It’s been put forward here in multiple posts that the actual existence of the coded Rubaiyat is questionable, given that there is no evidence that photographs of any part of the book are known to exist and Detective Brown, one of the leading Detectives in the case admitted that his superior at the time, Detective Sergeant Leane, lost the book in his filing system.
How and when Leane managed to lose the Rubiayat yet retain the much smaller Tamam Shud slip has never been satisfactorily explained. Neither has it been explained why Leane didn’t request that Cleland subpoena the individual who claimed to have found the Rubaiyat or why Leane didn’t submit the book itself as both were the further evidence Cleland was waiting for, seeing it was a requirement for him to do so and the inquest was adjourned specifically to await such further evidence.
Police cannot usurp a coroner’s function.
it’s back to the oft-repeated assertion, here at least, that the Rubaiyat cannot be proved to have ever existed and everything connected to both it and the Tamam Shud slip’s finding was a construction built to hide the identity of the Somerton Man and his relationship with Jessica Harkness.
All SAPOL had to do was wait Cleland out and for him to keep his judicial head down.