Thomas Ambrose Keane.
- ‘A couple of pages were released of Thomas Keane’s ASIO file. It shows that he was a member of the Eureka Youth League (note 6) when the file was opened in 1945 by the Commonwealth Investigation Branch. It also shows that someone requested a report on his activities and whereabouts in 1950, however who and why are redacted out. It also shows that the file was closed in 1953, however it appears that the reason for the file being closed is redacted. There’s only enough room in the blacked out area to write something like “Found Deceased” or such like.
What is available doesn’t say how old he is, or what sort of position he held in the EYL.
- Eureka Youth League amongst it’s activities performed ballet! (note 1)
They would’ve needed a coach and someone to make their shoes, presumably.
- Unfortunately all the Queensland files on the Eureka youth League from 1942 up-to 1949 have been restricted due to:
33(1)(a) – would damage Australia’s security, defence or international relations;
33(1)(d) – would be a breach of confidence;
33(1)(g) – would unreasonably disclose information about the personal affairs of a person;
- Record at NAA of a Thomas Ambrose Keane of 19 Abington St, South Brisbane opened in 1945 is not available due to National Security concerns.’
Davo .. you’re a genius.
1. Margaret Walker (born 1920) a dancer, worked with both the Junior Eureka League and Ballets Russes.
Source: Papers of Margaret Walker (Trove)
2. Thomas Ambrose Keane’s NAA file – 11 pages.
3. Was Thomas Ambrose Keane a Jewish Bolshevik?
‘From about 1870 till at least 1970, Jews were conspicuous for their involvement in socialist and communist parties and movements.’
Source: Phillip Mendezs, eurekastreet.
4. Kate Thomson suggested that her mother and the “Somerton Man” may both have been spies, noting that Jessica Thomson taught English to migrants, was interested in communism, and could speak Russian, although she would not disclose to her daughter where she had learned it, or why.
5. Was Jessica Harkness a Jewish Bolshevik?
(a) ‘You’ll find Jestyn buried under an ornate headstone in the Jewish section of Centennial Park cemetery in Adelaide, I think grave number 602. Her husband Prosper Thomson was cremated and his ashes interred in Springbank Creek, boulder 2 position, also in Centennial Park. Definitely Jewish but not sure why the family had a Scots surname.’
Source: specific comment on spydersden blog.
(b) The Kate Thomson 60 minutes interview done in her home shows her sitting in front of a menorah.
6. Members of the Eureka Youth League 1945 Healesville camp – Howard collection 2-1. One injured, the other applying 1st aid.