64 Cleland’s fob pocket problem
- Dressing gown and cord.
- Laundry bag with the name “Keane” written on it.
- One pair of scissors in a sheath.
- One knife in a sheath (apparently a cut down table knife).
- One stencil brush.
- Two singlets.
- Two pairs of underpants.
- One pair of trousers (with dry cleaning marks), with a 6d coin in the pocket.
- One sports coat.
- One coat shirt.
- One pair of pyjamas.
- One yellow coat shirt.
- One singlet bearing the name “Kean” (without an “e” on the end).
- One singlet with name torn out.
- One shirt, without name tag.
- Six handkerchiefs.
- One piece of light board.
- Eight large envelopes, one small envelope.
- Two coat hangers.
- One razor strap.
- One cigarette lighter.
- One razor.
- One shaving brush.
- One small screwdriver.
- One toothbrush.
- One glass dish.
- One soap dish containing a hairpin.
- Three safety pins.
- One front and back collar stud.
- One brown button.
- One teaspoon.
- One broken pair of scissors.
- One card of tan thread.
- One tin of tan boot polish.
- Two airmail stickers.
- One scarf.
- One towel.
- An unspecified number of pencils, mostly Royal Sovereign brand. Three pencils were H.
Above is the Coroner’s listing of the items found in a suitcase thought to belong to SM
There are no highly polished shoes on the list.
So, how did this happen?
The view here, given the above images, is that all SM’s clothes were kept in the one suitcase, including his two pairs of trousers – and the slip found by Cleland wasn’t in the fob pocket of the trousers SM was wearing when he died. That’s why Cleland had to look twice for it.
Taken from Cleland’s deposition:
In examining the clothes, in a fob pocket which was rather difficult to find, just on the right of the fly, I found a piece of paper. After I found it and put the paper back, it took me a good deal of time to find it the second time, as it was a pocket which could be easily missed.
.. and after a little editing,
In examining the clothes, in a fob pocket of the trousers found in the suitcase which was rather difficult to find, just on the right of the fly, I found a piece of paper. After I found it and put the paper back, it took me a good deal of time to find it the second time because I was looking in the trousers he was wearing, and as it was a pocket which could be easily missed.
PC Moss didn’t miss anything.