professor cleland, some background.
Around 1880, William Bickford of A. M. Bickford and Sons built a large residence at Glenelg, a coastal suburb about fourteen kilometres from Adelaide in South Australia. He named it Alvington after West Alvington, the Kingsbridge home village of his grandparents in South Devon UK.
Bickford wanted a big house with good verandahs a sea breeze and an ocean view, and he lived in his home on the corner of The Esplanade and Madge Terrace until dying in 1918 and leaving it to his widow, Margaret, and son, Harold.
In 1938, Alvington was sold to a charitable institution called the Crippled Children’s Association of South Australia. It was used as a home for children with poliomyelitis (commonly known as polio) until it was demolished in 1976. Its official name was The Somerton Home but it was generally known as the Crippled Children’s Home.
One of Professor Cleland’s more significant successes was the defining of the newly discovered encephalitis, then called ‘Australian X disease’, and the proof that it was distinct from poliomyelitis, not only by its microscopic characteristics, but also by the experimental transmission of virus strains to monkeys, sheep and other herbivores.
Australian Dictionary of Biography.